PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

I Turned Age 62 in April Of this year (2016) . I worked in

Customer Question

I Turned Age 62 in April Of this year (2016) . I worked in the Offshore Oil & Gas Industry Up to April. I am now on Social Security. I will Receive My First Social Security Check In June of this Year (2016) For the Amount Of $1424.00 a Month. I Have Also Been Receiving a Dissabilty Check from the V.A. For $133.17 a Month since January Of This Year. The Total Gross Income From the Three sources of My Income at the End of This Year Will be ; My Offshore Job $18990.00 , Social Security $9968.00 , Veterans Administration Disability $1598.00 , Total Gross Income For the Year ; $30556.00 . My Question is For Tax Year 2016 What will I be Required to file Tax returns On ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from just answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
If you worked in us territorial waters, you report that income on 1040 without special benefit. If you were in overseas waters, you might be eligible for the foreign earned income exclusion.The VA and social security incomes will not be taxable, and are typically disclosed on form 1040, but not included in the taxable income math.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
So, file 1040 and your state return as you typically have. In future years, you may not even need to file, depending on your income totals in future years.Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'mCustomer