How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son owes $18,000 back taxes. He has arranged to pay $218

Customer Question

My son owes $18,000 back taxes.
He has arranged to pay $218 per month.
Bur had now has severe lyme disease and can't work or make the monthly payments.
What will happen, if he doesn't make the monthly payments?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloYour son can call the IRS (phone number on last statement) and request a deferment until his situation improves. Because this will be for longer than 1 month the IRS will want to know all the information surrounding his inability to pay. Health reasons are accepted.They will most likely want a financial statement. They can place his account account in uncollectible status if (Uncollectible status is when the IRS makes a determination that forcing a payment plan would put you in economic hardship). Generally the month after he misses his payment, expect the IRS to send him a "Notice of Intent to Terminate Installment Agreement" (IRS Notice CP523). This notice is required by law – specifically, Internal Revenue Code 6159(b)(5).He can call the number on that notice.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Did your son call as advised?