Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I'm being held responsible taxes from a company that

Customer Question

I'm being held responsible for sales taxes from a company that I didn't work for said years. I was an officer but when the company was sold I left the company
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe Tax Law imposes personal responsibility for payment of sales tax on certain owners, officers, directors, employees, partners, or members (together, responsible persons) of a business that has an outstanding sales tax liability. Being personally liable means that your personal assets could be taken by the Tax Department to satisfy the sales tax liability of your business. You may be held personally responsible even if you have an employee or an accountant handle your sales tax matters. In addition, you may be held personally responsible even though your business is a corporation or a limited liability company. If the department issues a responsible person assessment against you and you do not agree with it, you have 90 days from the issuance of the assessment to file an appeal or request a conciliation hearing.The appeal entitles you to a hearing to present any information you may have to refute the assessment. A full explanation of your rights to protest an assessment will be included with the original assessment document. You will need to show that you had no real authority or activity in the sales tax remittance and name the person that did have this authority.