How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4522
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We sold a piece of land (to pay his debts) after my father

Customer Question

We sold a piece of land (to pay his debts) after my father passed away that we inherited from him, do we have to pay taxes on that sale, we live in Oklahoma
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.
Hi from Just Answer. I'mCustomer I'll assist. If you inherited the property, then sold it to pay estate debts, you will have received a step up in basis to its fair market value at date of death. Assuming you sold it shortly thereafter, you will not have a taxable gain on the sale. Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Please rate my response with positive feedback to close out your inquiry. I'mCustomer