How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3356
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a non-profit women's club of a country club in California

Customer Question

We are a non-profit women's club of a country club in California who participates in community outreach/contributions. Recently we have invited vendors to sell their wares on the premises during our luncheons. Furthermore, these vendors are encouraged to donate 10% of their sales to our contribution endeavors. I am curious as to whether we are in a tax issue, are we are actually in a profit position ($1200/year) and do we need a Tax ID if they claim their contribution as a tax write off. I would welcome guidelines on this as Treasurer of this organization.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark Anderson replied 1 year ago.
It depends if it is unrelated income:
Expert:  Mark Anderson replied 1 year ago.
Here is some info on social clubs:
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** please allow me to specifically answer your questions.Member income funds social clubs. This can be in the form of membership fees, dues, or assessments.However, 501(c)(7) organization may receive up to 35 percent of its gross receipts, including investment income, from sources outside of its membership without losing its tax-exempt status. No more than 15 percent of the amount may be derived from use of the club’s facilities or services by the general public or from other activities not furthering social or recreational purposes for members.Donations to exempt social and recreation clubs are NOT deductible as charitable contributions on the donor's federal income tax return.The following links contain excellent information you will find helpful: let me know if you require further information or clarification.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you further.Best regards,Barb