How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3173
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I forgot to file gambling winnings 2014, however I have proof

Customer Question

I forgot to file gambling winnings 2014, however I have proof that I lost more than I won. The IRS is now penalizing me. can I still file an Admendment?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Yes, you need to amend it to fix it. Gambling losses are claimed on Schedule A and you will have to report your the winnings on 1040. The problem is that most states don't allow gambling losses deduction so you will most likely owe to state if you live in state that does tax lottery winnings.