How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15206
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I consider transfer my Traditional IRA to a Roth

Customer Question

I consider transfer my Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA because my income in 2016 is less than it will be in any future year. I know if I convert whole amount, I will land in a high tax bracket, so I probably need to convert just part.
Could you give me an advice?
Thank you in advance,
Your Mike
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhen you convert from a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA you pay income tax on the contributions. The taxable amount that is converted is added to your income taxes and your regular income rate is applied to your total income.If you'd like to reduce the tax impact without an "all or nothing" conversion, you can do a partial Roth conversion. In the past to be able to convert from a Traditional to a Roth IRA your income needed to be under $100,000. The IRS rules have changed and there is no longer an income cap in place.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded