How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3173
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

JA: . What is your issue regarding? Customer: I am

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I am starting a new job and am being asked to fill out the IT-2104 i've never seen this before
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: for new york state
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am single with one job. I thought to claim one allowance on my W4 (is that correct)? and how do I make the it-2104 align with that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Specifically, I don't understand :
1. total allowances I am claiming for NY state and Yonkers
2. total number of allowances for NYCand how to complete all the buckets 6-28
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. It is NY equivalent to W4. But I thin you already figured it out. You will fill it you the same way as your W4. Fill your name and address, check single or head of household box, if you live in NYC, check the appropriate boxes. Put 1 on line 1 and 2 and sign. If you don't want anything extra withheld leave the rest blank. If you are filing as single with one job, no dependents or education credits, you do not need to worry about the worksheet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Eva. So I claim 1 allowance for NY State, and 1 allowance for NYC?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
The worksheet is basically for situations that will reduce your taxable income, for instance itemize deduction (if you are deducting mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable donations), you have a self-employment income, you made a contribution to IRA, HSA and such. In situations those situations you use the worksheets to claim more exemptions. Yes, one for NYS and if you live in NYC than 1 for New York city. If you do not live in city, than put O. Sorry, I didn't ask you if you are NYC resident or not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Also, I was confused because on the W4 the worksheet says I can claim 1 for single one job, 1 for "no one can claim me as a dependent". Yet I've heard I should be claiming only 1, not 2. What is your opinion on best practices?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Depending on your income, if your total income is over 75K I wouldn't claim two exemptions. It will take couple of years to get it right so you do not owe too much and you are not getting a huge refund because of overwitholding. Basically, the more exemptions you claim the less taxes are taken out of your paycheck and the more you will owe when you file your taxes (or the smaller your refund will be). On the other hand if you don't claim enough exemptions your employers is taking more than he should and you will get a big refund at the end of the year.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Some people don't mind to owe some taxes, some prefer huge refund. Some have a side job and need to compensate for extra income. I usually advice to start with single and 1 and adjust it if you want next year. If you are single, no dependents, taking standard deduction this should give you a small refund next year.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.