Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband and I purchased a home under a VA loan into 2011

Customer Question
. my son and his...
My husband and I purchased a home under a VA loan into 2011 . my son and his family has been living in it and paying the mortgage the last three years -- he is eligible to assume the mortgage but -- we purchase the home on a short sale for 200,000 if he assumes the loan which he is able to do ---the home is estimate at 400,000 my question is will my husband and I be taxed for The 200,000 as a gift tax or capital gain of 37% -- it's cleaned as a rental -- How can we turn the home over to him
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/13/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You may either sell OR gift the property to your son - or a combination of both.

If you gift....

In the US - gift - is not taxable income for the recipient and you do not need to be reported to the IRS.

There is no any amount limit.

Please see for reference IRS publication 525 page 31 left column - -

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf

Gifts and inheritances. In most cases, property you receive as a gift, bequest, or inheritance is not included in your income.....

- while the gift itself is not a taxable income for the donee and is NOT reported on the tax return

- the donor might be required to file a gift tax return (form 709) when the gift is above filing threshold ($14,000 per person per year)

- but most likely - you will not have any gift tax liability (based on the lifetime exclusion that is above $5,450,000).

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.

So far ...

.

.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.

I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor