How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3613
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work department of defense and live in Japan, I have

Customer Question

I work for the department of defense and live in Japan, I have been told that I can pro-rate my state taxes based on the number of days that I was actually in the state of kansas. Is this correct?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.You will need to file a part-year or non-resident Kansas state income tax return if you are living in Japan. Since the Kansas return starts with your federal adjusted income (Line 37 of your 1040), Kansas takes into consideration the foreign earned income exclusion in determining taxable income.In addition, part-year and non-residents complete Part B of Schedule S and attach it to the Kansas K-40. let me know if you require further information or clarification.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns about this topic. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Best regards,Barb