How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am recording the sale of an S corp. Sold for $100,000.

Customer Question

Hi. I am recording the sale of an S corp. Sold for $100,000. $40,000 was allocated to fixed assets and $60,000 was Goodwill. On the sellers books when he bought the company he had $10,000 of goodwill. Does the ^0,000 purchase of goodwill get split between the 4797 for 10,000 and schedule D for 50,000?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
As the goodwill was purchased - you need to adjust the basis by amortization - and will report the sale of the goodwill on form 4797.There is only ONE goodwill.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Please be sure - you adjust the basis of the goodwill by amortization.The gain will be reported as long term - but amortization will be recaptured as ordinary income.Let me know if you need any help with reporting.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.

Related Tax Questions