Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am recording the sale of an S corp. Sold for $100,000.

Customer Question
Hi. I am recording the...
Hi. I am recording the sale of an S corp. Sold for $100,000. $40,000 was allocated to fixed assets and $60,000 was Goodwill. On the sellers books when he bought the company he had $10,000 of goodwill. Does the ^0,000 purchase of goodwill get split between the 4797 for 10,000 and schedule D for 50,000?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/12/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
As the goodwill was purchased - you need to adjust the basis by amortization - and will report the sale of the goodwill on form 4797.There is only ONE goodwill.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.
Please be sure - you adjust the basis of the goodwill by amortization.The gain will be reported as long term - but amortization will be recaptured as ordinary income.Let me know if you need any help with reporting.
..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor