How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3810
Experience:  20+ years of experience in tax preparation; 30+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was waiting 2015 tax return. It did not appear. Today

Customer Question

I was waiting for my 2015 tax return. It did not appear. Today (5/10/16) I searched my email for the online tax software that I use to prepare our family's returns. I found an email (that had gone into my Gmail's "promotions" tab which I rarely check) that said my return had been rejected by the IRS.
After attempting to fix the issue using the online software and a little more investigative work, it appears our 2014 return did not get filed even though it was fully prepared. The online software has the copy, and we have a saved .pdf.
In addition, the $3,000 we had to pay to the IRS was processed even though -- somehow -- our return did not get filed.
I think I know how to get our 2015 return filed, but should I take that step and fix the 2014 issue later? Or fix them both simultaneously? Do I need to visit a professional accountant to sort this out?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-8nme36c9- replied 1 year ago.
You have many options. I would make sure your 2014 return was filed first. You could call the IRS at 1-***-***-**** and ask them if they have it. You could visit a tax professional and give them Power of Attorney and about a month to figure it out for you. Print out the rejected efile email for 2014. Figure out the rejection code and correct the error. You could re-submit electronically or send a paper return with a copy of the rejection notice. It could be the same rejection code for both years. There are many reasons. It is important to understand why it is being rejected. Yes, ask about them at the same time.
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** I have a different answer.Regarding your 2014 tax return, if you find out from the IRS that it was not filed, you will NOT be able to efile it. It will have to be mailed to the IRS. Because your 2014 payment to the IRS has been processed, it sounds like your 2014 tax return has been efiled.If you can correct the error on your 2015 tax return, my suggestion would be to efile it as soon as possible and watch your emails to make sure it is accepted by the IRS.You do not require the services of a professional accountant to sort this out. You will be able to resolve it yourself, and I would be happy to assist you.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns about this topic. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Best regards,Barb