Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Barbara,Ok. a few days ago you said that I cannot efile

Customer Question
any returns for years prior...
Barbara,Ok. a few days ago you said that I cannot efile any returns for years prior to 2015 in May 2016. Prior to April 15, 2016, what returns was I allowed to e-file. 2014? 2013? 2012?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/10/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Welcome back to Just Answer and thank you for requesting me.None.Efiling for a current tax year ends on October 15th.For example, efiling for 2015 tax returns will end on October 17, 2016 (October 15 is a Saturday).Likewise, efiling for 2014 tax returns ended on October 15, 2015, and so on.Please let me know if I can assist you further.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dear *****,
I believe you data is incorrect,and that I can still file 2013,14, and 15 electronically. This is what I got when I called the Intuit e-flie desk for Pro Series. I called them because after seeing your answer, I saw i had gotten e-file returns approved for 2014 in April of 2016. Can you review your answer and clarify. Maybe Intuit is wrong, or maybe I mis-worded my question.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just want to make sure I am not missing something here. Would appreciate your help and clarification.
See the following TurboTax link:https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900829-can-i-still-e-file-a-2014-2013-or-earlier-tax-returnHowever, prior year returns CAN BE EFILED using the MEF platform:MeF allows filing of prior year 1040 returns. As a new tax form type is added to the MeF platform, tax returns will be accepted for the current tax year only. As subsequent tax years are added to the system, MeF will accept the current tax year and two prior tax years.For example:In January 2015, 1040 MeF accepted Tax Years 2014, 2013, and 2012.In January 2016, 1040 MeF accepted Tax Years 2015, 2014, and 2013. https://www.irs.gov/Tax-Professionals/e-File-Providers-&-Partners/Benefits-of-1040-Modernized-e-File Make sense?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. I looked at the Turbo Tax link you mentioned above BEFORE i wrote you. Frankly it confused me, as I had been filing earlier year returns on Intuit Pro Series.. That is why I wrote you. I I was not sure if I could still do 2012. But I had filed 2014 and I believe 2013. I believe I have no problem filing 2013 and 2014 and 2015 on Intuit Pro Series, at least on 1040s.So if my intuit Pro Series program lets me efile 1040s for 2013 and 2014, I have nothing to worry about, correct?If I am good so far, do you know about 1120S, 1120s, 1065s. Do these go back to 2013 as well for efile? Do you know?I am just trying to make sure I have it right. I could not find any clear cut directive on IRS site, and found Intuit Pro Series doing something Intuit Turbo Tax, as you pointed out, says I cannot. If you have more data on the different forms, and confirm my understanding, that would be great.I ran into Turbo Tax saying one thing, you at first agreeing with Turbo Tax, Intuit Por Support saying something else, and could nlot find anything definitive on IRS site.So if you can assist me here and confirm my understanding, or correct me, that would be great. Appreciate your willingness to help. BTW, I called an EA friend with thirty years experience, and he said "No. You can't efile back regturns." So there is confusion here.Dave
Hi, Dave.The Intuit TurboTax program (self-prepared) is the not same as the ProSeries program you are using. When you first posted your question a few days ago, I did not realize you were using ProSeries until you mentioned it in this thread.That is the distinction. TurboTax users can only efile the current year (2015) tax returns until October 17, 2016. They cannot efile any prior years.You, on the other hand, because you are using ProSeries, can efile prior year returns.The IRS link I provided in my previous reply addresses filing prior year returns using the MEF platform.Does that clear things up?Barb
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Pretty much. I am assuming Pro Series allows me to e-file 2013, 14, and 15. This is what the IRS allows.Do you know if the same rule applies to business reports--same years. If you don't, I can check with Pro Series.Once again thanks for your help.Dave
The IRS allows electronic filing of tax returns for the current tax year and the two previous tax years. Prior year returns can only be filed electronically by registered tax preparers, and only when the Modernized e-File System is available. Because you are using Pro Series, the same rules will apply to business returns.Please let me know if I can assist you further. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.Best regards,Barb
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent