How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29800
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I expatriase myself (give up my American citizenship) does

Customer Question

If I expatriase myself (give up my American citizenship) does my income which is all from my California Retirement System continue to be taxable income or do I not have to pay income tax as I am no longer a citizen of the country?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Income from US sources will be taxable for you even you become a nonresident alien.It will not be taxable for CA state income tax purposes as you are not a resident of California,but still will be taxed on the federal level.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Based on the country you currently live - if there is a tax treaty - it is possible different treatment.Let me know if you need help to verify for any specific country.