How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12695
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has not filed taxes in 5 years (she lives in PA).

Customer Question

My mother has not filed taxes in 5 years (she lives in PA). She is considered low-income. My question is can I be held responsible for her back taxes? And are they're special circumstances for poor people that are on SSI that have not filed their taxes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...First, if her income is such that she would qualify for SSI, then she is WELL below the filing threshhold....For a single person to need to file at all, their income would have to be higher than the standard deduction (6300) plus the personal exemption (4000) ... which,again, is FAR above the level of income BELOW which one would need to have, to qualify for SSI....Anyone that legitimately qualifies for SSI does NOT HAVE a filing responsibility....And no, you cannot be held responsible for any tax debt that your mother may owe ... If she DID have any tax debt out there that might generate a levy or lien you would want to be sure not to hold assets jointly with her, as assets in a joint account can be attached (levied, garnished) for the debts of EITHER account holder....But from what you've said here, that would be impossible ... unless the tax debt were from a time before she qualified for SSI.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit")...JustAnswer will not credit me for the time and work unless you rate me positively....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/ Medicare, & estate, as well as corporate & tax, since 1986
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
…Hi,...I’m just checking back in to see how things are going...Did my answer help?...Let me know…...Thanks,Lane
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...I’m just checking back in to see how things are going...Did my answer help?...Let me know…...Thanks,Lane…