How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Anderson Your Own Question
Mark Anderson
Mark Anderson, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 541
Experience:  Tax attorney and accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Anderson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father died in 1991 and was never a US citizen. That same

Customer Question

My father died in 1991 and was never a US citizen. That same year my father loaned my now ex-husband US$35,000, for which there is a signed promissory note. My father intended for me to be repaid the US$35,000 and now, 25 years later, my ex is about to pay me the interest of more than $300,000. Do I have to pay an inheritance tax?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father was not a resident or citizen of the US. My ex husband recently repaid to me the principal amount of US$35,000 which is why he now has a legal obligation, and is willing to repay the interest totaling more than US$300,000 (9% compound interest p.a. for 25 years).
Expert:  Mark Anderson replied 1 year ago.
You will probably need to pay taxes on the interest you received? Was it paid from his estate?
Expert:  Mark Anderson replied 1 year ago.
Inheritance tax is based upon the state. NY does not appear to have an inheritance tax: