How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29954
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-wife and i have been divorced since september 2004. Our

Customer Question

My ex-wife and i have been divorced since september 2004. Our kids have been staying with her all the way up til December 2013 then they started staying with me in my home.
My kids have not stayed with their mother but only for about 2 months since December 2013. I have been taking care of my kids every since this time, but my ex-wife has been claiming them on her taxes.
How do i go about taking care of this situation? Like i have stated, she has claimed them on her taxes for the tax season of 2014 and 2015. My childeren have been with me 11 months out of each tax season.
What do i need to do to have this matter resolved?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You may file your tax return and claim children as your dependents.If you already filed - you may amend past returns and make changes.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
As your spouse already claimed children as dependent - you will not be able to e-file (your return would be rejected)so - you will need to print your tax return, sign and mail it to the IRS.Because children are already claimed - the IRS will send you a letter asking to proof your eligibility.Documents you may provide are listed here have your tax return processed faster - you may attach all required documents to your tax return.Do not send original documents - just copies.The IRS will send request to another parent to provide supporting documents and will make decision after full verification - so you may expect delay with processing of your tax return...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.