Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Tax Experts Change from Single member LLC (disregarded

Customer Question
Tax Experts Change from Single member...
Tax Experts
Change from Single member LLC (disregarded entity) to Multi-Member LLC (partnership).
My client did register single-member LLC instead of partnership. It was mistake because partnership had three members from start of the business. Paper extension has been filed for partnership (electronic did not go through).Do we need to call IRS to change from single to partnership before we file tax return? Is there a form which needs to be filed with paper tax return to change the type of entity? Any recommendation?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
5/5/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
There is no need to call the IRS...What you need to do (1) establish EIN for the partnership and (2) file a partnership tax return on form 1065 and mark it as Initial return.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can we use federal id which was issued for single member llc instead of applying for a new one. In other words just convert single member llc to partnership.
See herehttps://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Do-You-Need-a-New-EINSole Proprietors -- You will be required to obtain a new EIN if any of the following statements are true.-- You take in partners and operate as a partnership.So - you will need a new EIN specifically for the partnership.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor