How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On what form and how do I enter expenses incurred by one member

Customer Question

on what form and how do I enter expenses incurred by one member of an llc that do not apply to the other member (2 members total 50/50 agreement) These expenses would include automobile (standard deduction) business cell phone and home office expense. The LLC is in it's first year of operation and used a cash accounting system. The tax return is being filed on the 1065 form with the supporting schedule K and K-1 forms. One partner contributes services while the other provides money and management expertise.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
IRS will likely disallow UNLESS there is an operating agreement that allows for (delineates) this. ...In the absence of an operating agreement, all income, expenses, capital gains, and capital losses are allocated in accordance with ownership interest....The Op Agmt. governs LLC members and their operation of the LLC, including voting rights, who has check-signing authority, profit-sharing, rules for ownership transfers, responsibilities of the individual members, and other essentials. ...Has there been an operating agreement that separates out income and expense responsibilities?