How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29964
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

L work in the oil and gas industry as a Captain aboard

Customer Question

Hello, l work in the oil and gas industry as a Captain aboard a supply vessel. My employer is based in LA and l am a resident of FL where l have a home. The state of LA says l owe income tax. Is this correct?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I filed a state return and the state will deduct $3900 on the 5-16-2016 auto debit from my checking account. Can l file an amended return? Stopping this?
JA: Tell me more about your problem so I can decide what kind of lawyer you need. I'm sorry I'm feeling very dense today, I just don't understand what variety of lawyer you are looking for. Could you please name the kind of lawyer you want to see?
Customer: Maritime Tax lawyer?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Several issues to clarify...Do you physically work within LA state borders? Or outside LA borders OR partially in LA and partially outside LA?How your employer reported your wages on W2 - did they report as from LA sources? - please verify reporting in boxes 15-17?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I traveled out of state in federal and international waters for work as the ships captain. Box 15 LA. Box 16 127,789 Box 17 00
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
As you are a resident of FL and nonresident in LA - ONLY income from LA sources is taxed for you on LA state level.Your employer is required to keep track of all your working time and report income from LA sources.Based on W2 form your employer reported in boxes 15-16 that your income from LA sources is 127,789 - so based on that information LA taxing authorities expect you to file LA tax return as a nonresident and calculate your LA income tax liability on THAT amount.If you think that reporting is not correct - you would need to communicate with your employer and ask for correction..The location of your employer is not relevant, but the physical place where you perform your work activity does matter.Compensation for all work you done within LC state border is considered from LA sources.In additional all time you worked within 3 miles offshore - is also considered from LA sources.As long as you are more than 3 miles offshore - the compensation for your services is NOT income from LA sources.So - you do need to verify whether your employer correctly reported that amount in box 16 - and if not - ask to issue a corrected W2.Then you will need to file your LA tax return.