How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29579
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex wife and I filed jointly in 2011 we divorced in 2012

Customer Question

my ex wife and I filed jointly in 2011 we divorced in 2012 we had a problem that the IRS said we owed them 7000 for the 2011 taxes my ex decided to pay them even though i told her we didn't owe... When the IRS decided we were right they took money that she put in to pass off 2011 and payed off my personal tax liabilities of 2012 and 2013 that i filed as a single... Am i liable to pay her back that amount that was kept to clear my tax liabilities from the money she put in on the 2011 taxes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
As that was a jointly filed tax return - refund amount is owned jointly - and how it is divided between you and your ex-spouse - that is civil matter between both of you.You are NOT legally obligated to pay her ex-wife any amount - but it might be better if you are able negotiate and agree on division.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she paid all 7000 herself when they sent her money back to her they only gave her like 4000 back the other 3000 went to satisfy my tax liabilities that occurred after we divorced and i filed single
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
That is - again - a civil matter between you and your ex-spouse.There is NO legal obligation to pay her back - but if you choose not to pay - she might disagree legally may sue you for damages - and if she will get a judgement - then you will be legally obligated.We do not know if she will do that or not - but that is the possibility.Another option for her - to file an injured spouse form - because that joint refund was taken to pay off YOUR liability for which was was NOT responsible.In this case - the IRS will divide refund and will increase your tax debt plus retroactively additional penalties and interest charges - so you personally would not benefit form that...Thus logically and financially - you better to negotiate.But if your only concern about your legal liability - you are not obligated to pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.