Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I did not file 2008 GA.state taxes but have filed subsequent

Customer Question

I did not file 2008 GA.state taxes but have filed subsequent years . They send a letter an execution letter for an amount - about 7000 but that includes penalties and interest . I am on eternal hold / phone now waiting for them because of course I could not set up a pay back plan online because they are not actually files . I am in the process of doing the taxes now but if possible would hate to pay all the fees that are not the taxes themselves . I imagine they will place a lean anytime- but I can't get through online . What does the lean entail . What can they levy now and is there a way to stop process while I am trying to do the taxes and get them out . Bank Accounts, wage garnishments ,lein on property ?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloA state tax lien (also known as a state tax execution) is recorded with one or more Clerks of Superior Court to make it a matter of public record and to secure the debt. After a lien has become due and is in the collection process, the Department may file a lien without notice, at any time, if it is in the State's best interest.You can file your returns and send payment with each (or as much as you can). This will not stop the state from placing a lien as the lien is just to secure the property should you sell.The Department will cancel a state tax lien when the delinquent tax liability has been resolved. The Department will mark an entry of satisfaction on the execution docket and cancel the lien with the Clerk of Superior Court in each county where the lien had been recorded.State tax liens must be filed within seven years of the assessment date of the tax liability. Once the Department files a lien, the Department has seven years from the date the lien was recorded to collect the liability. A tax lien may be renewed for another seven-year period by re-recording the lien prior to the expiration of the previous seven-year period. If you owe when you complete those returns the interest is not going to be abated. By law they must charge interest. You can request they abate the penalty if you have a very good reason that you did not file. This would need to be a reason that was out of your control (like illness).