Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a single mother with a small child who I claim

Customer Question
Hello, I am a single...
Hello, I am a single mother with a small child who I claim on my taxes. Just recently I change my allowances withheld from 2 to 8 because that's what the IRS calculator told me.. I'm afraid it will hurt me in the end?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/27/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
HelloThe more allowances you claim the less will be taken out. If you used the W4 calculator and you entered the items as requested then you should have received an accurate withholding to go by.The allowances take into consideration the number of deductions you can claim when you file. If you generally receive a large refund this will change when you file but you will receive more in your pay check during the year.You can go in again and repeat the process to see where you stand now. You can change your withholding at work again if you feel uncomfortable.Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4