How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have misplaced try IRS extension letter. When I tried to

Customer Question

I have misplaced try IRS extension letter. When I tried to unsuccessfully speak to someone at IRS, the wait was over an hour! Is there a particular number to call in situations like mine? We are trying to refinance our home, and the agent wants a copy of the granted extension, which I cannot find.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: ???
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax-Scholar replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to just answers. There isn't really an easy way to get your extension from the IRS. I would recommend you just generate a new 4868. Did you use a tax software program? There is very little information on this form that is unique. The IRS can provide account transcripts and detail on extension payments. However for them to physically pull the Form 4868 is pretty difficult and timely.