How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15296
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husand and I are Canadian citizens with green cards who

Customer Question

my husand and I are Canadian citizens with green cards who reside in Houston. My husband is 62 receiving US disability income and a canadian pension from which taxes are withheld. How do we claim this on our US taxes? Should we file a joint tax or file seperately? we have 2 children ages 11 and 15 and we own our home outright ( no mortgage)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe pension is reported as a pension on the 1040. The taxes withheld in Canada can act as a credit on your US return by completing form 1116.If you are working then you would want to look to joint filing. If you file separate you will not be allowed certain credits. You can prepare the returns both ways to see if separate is better based on your numbers but it is rarely more beneficial.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Checking to see if you responded