Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husand and I are Canadian citizens with green cards who

Customer Question
reside in Houston. My husband...
my husand and I are Canadian citizens with green cards who reside in Houston. My husband is 62 receiving US disability income and a canadian pension from which taxes are withheld. How do we claim this on our US taxes? Should we file a joint tax or file seperately? we have 2 children ages 11 and 15 and we own our home outright ( no mortgage)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/25/2016
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
HelloThe pension is reported as a pension on the 1040. The taxes withheld in Canada can act as a credit on your US return by completing form 1116.If you are working then you would want to look to joint filing. If you file separate you will not be allowed certain credits. You can prepare the returns both ways to see if separate is better based on your numbers but it is rarely more beneficial.
Checking to see if you responded
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4