How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29573
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 62 year old male, and have decided to retire, and start

Customer Question

I am a 62 year old male, and have decided to retire, and start collecting social security early (rather than waiting till age 65 or beyond.)
My income in 2016 will be zero (other than social security). I have a 401K and will not take out any money from it at this time.
My question is this: My wife is age 57 and still working. She works part time as an instructor at a community college and makes about $10-$15,000 a year. However she also is the president of a small business corporation which she manages (web site design and management services), and takes home no salary, but merely dividends, and pays her own social security on it, via a K1 form at the end of each year. The K1 shows amount earned on it of about $55,000-$65,000, depending on the year.
So my income is zero. Her's is, let's average about $60,000 on her K1, and about $12,000 on her W2 from the school.
Will my social security payment be penalized or taken away due to her income level? And if so, is there a way around that by filing separately or something? There's no sense in me retiring early if I'm not going to keep any of the social security payment, which I was just going to bank for the future. Any help would be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Your security payments will NOT be penalized and will not be affected by your spouse's income.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
ONLY if you will be working and will receive wages or self-employment income - your social security benefits will be affected.However as you will likely file a joint tax return with your spouse - your social security benefits will be partly taxable and that part will be added to your gross income..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.