How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3170
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 76, married and retired. My wife & I both receive SS and

Customer Question

I am 76, married and retired. My wife & I both receive SS and I receive a pension. We usually have an AGI around 90K. She has now been in a nursing home since Sept 2015. She's had dementia a little over ten years. Medicaid and her SS cover the nursing home. I am now paying a Caregiver Company about $1500-$1600 per week to help with bathing and feeding, etc. That is coming out of our savings. The only other expenses we have are utilities and taxes. At the end of the year can we claim this as an itemized medical expense. If not, is there a better way. By the way I was in the Air Force (1958-1962). The VA has not answered yet.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.Nursing home costs and home care (to help the person with basic needs like, hygiene, feeding, medication and such) qualify as medical expense deduction. Yes, you can claim it on your itemize deduction.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.