How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29964
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tax questionI am a licensed attorney I usually file a

Customer Question

Tax questionI am a licensed attorney I usually file a Schedule CThis yr (2015) I settled a personal injury case ( I usually do not have this type of case/income) and got a 1099 from the insurance company who paid a joint check to me and my client-- the 1099 reports the gross amount of the settlement ($110,000) to me a s income-- but pursuant to my agreement with my client-- only 1/3 of the gross -- $33000- was my fee.How do I report this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
I suggest to report the full amount - to satisfy IRS verification procedure on line 1 scheduled Cand report the amount to the client as returns and allowances.Be sure to issue 1099mist to the client with full amount and provide an invoice for your services - so the client will be able to deduct that portion if income is taxable for the client.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
.I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.