Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

This year my father-in-law sold his house to his daughter.

Customer Question
There are 2 other siblings...
This year my father-in-law sold his house to his daughter. There are 2 other siblings. Are they responsible to the "profit" made on the sale? Our tax accountant said "no" since the transaction only took one day. My father-in-laws accountant say the 2 siblings need to pay taxes on the profit of $1700 each?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/21/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
We need to be clear WHO owned the property when it was sold?If the father-in-law was the only owner - other siblings would not be responsible.However if other siblings were listed on the title as co-owners - the situation would be different.
Let me know if you still need any help.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney