How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29941
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal to tax my entire year income if

Customer Question

is it legal for California to tax my entire year income if I don't live in California and only earned $1,000 in California during the tax year?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to our site!How California taxes residents, nonresidents, and part-year residentsCalifornia residents - Taxed on ALL income, including income from sources outside California.Nonresidents of California - Taxed only on income from California sources.Part-year residents of California - Taxed on all income received while a resident and only on income from California sources while a nonresident.So - if you do not live in California - means - you are NOT a resident of California - you are ONLY taxed on income from California sources.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I have my taxes done 2009 through 2015 the accountant has told me I didn't need to file in Cascade because I didn't earn enough there. However the CA tax commission has just taken money out of my savings account and filed a lien on my Idaho property saying I owe them over $14,009. When I called them them they told me they had taxed my global income because I didn't file those years. What recourse do I have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
California not Casvade
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And they wouldn't tell me what years I needed to file except to say I needed to file 2009 through 2016. I haven't even earned money in Calufornia since 2010
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If California taxed you on the entire income - that most likely based on their assumption that you are a resident of California.If you was a resident - but moved out of California - provide adequate documents.Regarding 2009 - if you moved out of California in 2009 - you was a part year resident for that year.But if you moved out of California before 2009 - you was a nonresident for teh whole 2009.As a nonresident - do you need to file?If you had income from California sources (and you did have!) AND your gross income was above $16,256 (assuming Single without dependents) - You must file a California income tax return using form 540NR.So - when you file and calculate your tax liability ONLY on income from California sources - that will fix the issue for 2009.For other years - you need to request actual information - but a simple way would be to file all tax returns even you did not have any income from California sources during these years.