Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My name is ***** ***** and I am considering taking an early

Customer Question
withdraw from my 401k to...
My name is ***** ***** and I am considering taking an early withdraw from my 401k to settle some debt from a difficult financial period. I am trying to educate myself on how this will affect me come tax time.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am considering taking 13000 from my simple it's to pay off credit card debt. I have tried all other avenues of refinance and debt consolidation without success. I am just wondering how I can help myself from owing on this money at tax time. Should I take an extra 20% above the 10% penalty Simple ira *
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/19/2016
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,...The amount you take will be added to your other taxable income for the year....Then, as you mention, if you're under age 59 and 1/2, there will be the early withdrawal tax of an additional 10%...So if your other income puts you in, say, the 25% bracket, then the distribution will be taxed at 25% plus another 10% for a total of 35% (plus state tax as well)...if you'd like to give me what you think your income will be for the tax year (and how you file - married filing jointly, single etc.) I can run the numbers FOR you...But yes, once you calculate the number (lets say my example would apply) then withholding 35% (plus enough to cover the state tax) from the distribution would offset, dollar for dollar, whatever is owed next April at tax time
I hope this has helped....Please let me know if you have any questions at all....If this HAS helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the faces or stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit That’s the only way JustAnswer will credit us for the work here....Thank you!Lane……I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, both for-profit and non-profit, and tax advice, since 1986
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS