How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12059
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a state tax execution and I tried to call, and I

Customer Question

I received a state tax execution and I tried to call, and I am not sure how to proceed.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have unpaid tax, interest and penalties from 2012 and 2008. The interest is as much as the tax. I would like to reduce interest and penalties and get on a payment plan.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...I can help here...Can you please tell me the state?......I hold a law degree (JD, Juris Doctorate), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
OK. Here's GA's publication on Payment Agreements:...If you owe a tax debt to the Georgia Department of Revenue and cannot afford to pay it all at once, you can request a payment agreement to settle your debt over time. Payment agreements generally last no longer than 36 months.... The Department will not approve a request for a payment agreement if:The taxpayer is in bankruptcyThe taxpayer has a pending offer in compromise application filed with the DepartmentThe taxpayer has not filed all state tax returns required to be filed with the DepartmentThe tax debt has been assigned to one of the Department’s private collection agencies...You request a payment agreement for the debt you owe the Department and propose a payment amount and schedule....You can do this online using the Georgia Tax Center. Y...You can also complete an installment agreement form and mail it to the Department. Please note that your request for a payment plan will be processed more quickly online than using the paper form.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, here's the link for the GA tax Center:
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
There's also the possibility of what's called an Offer in Compromise: Form OIC-1 Offer in Compromise Application.pdf
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you apply for both installment plan and offer in compromise?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Not simultaneously... I would ask for the installment plan to "stop the locomotive," to give yourself time to work through the OIC.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
You might want to consider using a firm like this ... The [OIC] can be tedious AND can easily get kicked back if the forms aren't done correctly (I have no association)...