How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3587
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In August 2015 I provided my boyfriend a cash gift of $7000

Customer Question

In August 2015 I provided my boyfriend a cash gift of $7000 for a down payment on a house that was only in his name. I withdrew the money from my 401K. The mortgage company provided me proof of my gift. In December 2015 we got do I claim my cash gift on my taxes? we are filing married but seperate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.A cash gift is not a deduction on your taxes for the giver (you) and is not taxable to the recipient.As to your filing status, if your are not married (you mentioned boyfriend), you would use the single filing status--not married filing separate.Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.Thank you and best regards,Barb
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.
Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.Best regards,Barb