How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55132
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I may owe taxes do I need to pay them today with an estimated

Customer Question

If I may owe taxes do I need to pay them today with an estimated filing when I am seeking an extension? My tax advisor said it was up to me with no guidance.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good evening Ann. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. You do not have to pay the estimated taxes owed when filing your extension. The purpose of an extension is to extend the time for filing your income tax return so that you don't get a late-filing penalty. The extension is automatic whether or not you pay the estimated taxes. The only adverse impact is that the IRS will assess interest and a late payment penalty for not paying your taxes timely. You can verify this at the following IRS link: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Related Tax Questions