How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

California tax filing help. Does my elderly mother have

Customer Question

California tax filing help.
Does my elderly mother have to file taxes? her SSI =$19,163.00 her 1099-R = $5,000.
her 1099 INT = $850.00.
Also father passed in Feb 2015. Revd a SSA-1099 = $3,472. and a 1099-R = 1,657.
Also- do I have to file I have no income. just what I have in bank from last year. I am my moms fulltime caregiver.
I need to send in forms tonight.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you do need to file a tax return. You will file Married filing jointly and enter the date of your fathers passing. She will sign the return as "surviving spouse"
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
As far as you are concerned...if you had no income, then you do not have to file at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i was told last year she may not have to file. why do you say she does?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you familiar with California tax? your from tenn.
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
I am familiar with taxes from every state. I work near an army base and do taxes for every state in the US. Because your father passed in 2015 , it is advisable to file the state return to show his passing. While her income is less than the standard deduction for Ca, a return isn't required.....but I always advise my clients to file a final return showing date of death. She will have no tax liability, so there is no filing requirement, however the state may send a letter in a few months stating they never received the return. To avoid hassle later, I recommend that she file a return (and if anything was withheld from the 1099-R's from the state, she will get that back with the return.
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back to make sure you got your issue handled. If you are satisfied with my service, I ask that you take a moment to rate me using the stars or smiley faces, this is how I receive compensation from Just Answer and ensures experts like me are available to answer your questions in the future. if you would like to work with me again, simply type "ForCustomeramp;quot; in your question title and I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.