How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3169
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took several large IRA disbursements throughout 2015 to

Customer Question

I took several large IRA disbursements throughout 2015 to pay my mothers nursing home costs (dementia). I transferred the money from my accounts to hers and paid the bills from her account as her POA. Can I deduct those payments as medical expenses and how do go about it? Should I list my mother as a dependant even though she did not technically live with me?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. Your doesn't need to live with you to be your dependent. As long as your mother's income was less than $4000 and you paid more than 50% of her support, you can claim her as your dependent. You can only deduct medical expenses your your self and dependents listed on your tax return. So it all comes down to determine if you can claim your mother as your dependent. Here are the rules: down to qualifying relative. Parents are on the list of relatives who do not live with you.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?Joseph, I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.