How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed electronically yesterday but caught an error this morning

Customer Question

I filed electronically yesterday but caught an error this morning (Apr 18) that reduced the tax I owed. Can I mail in the amended (reduced) amount or do I have to pay the original amount and wait for a refund?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 1 year ago.
You would want to paper file the amended return at once. You can always pay less than the amount due. However, the IRS will start to send you notices because they won't have processed the amended return which can take 4-6 months. Once the amended return is "logged in" the notices should cease while they process the amended return. If you get a scary notice, you can always call them up and tell them just what's happening. That you in fact owe less money and would prefer to only pay that. They will then put a 2-3 month "collection hold" on the account while the amended return is being processed. So, in summary, the answer is: "yes, you can do this "unofficially" but the IRS will still list it as a balance due until the amended return is processed.
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 1 year ago.