Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed electronically yesterday but caught an error this morning

Customer Question
(Apr 18) that reduced the...
I filed electronically yesterday but caught an error this morning (Apr 18) that reduced the tax I owed. Can I mail in the amended (reduced) amount or do I have to pay the original amount and wait for a refund?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/18/2016
Tax Professional: Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP replied 1 year ago
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP
You would want to paper file the amended return at once. You can always pay less than the amount due. However, the IRS will start to send you notices because they won't have processed the amended return which can take 4-6 months. Once the amended return is "logged in" the notices should cease while they process the amended return. If you get a scary notice, you can always call them up and tell them just what's happening. That you in fact owe less money and would prefer to only pay that. They will then put a 2-3 month "collection hold" on the account while the amended return is being processed. So, in summary, the answer is: "yes, you can do this "unofficially" but the IRS will still list it as a balance due until the amended return is processed.
..
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney