How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question

Customer Question

hello, I have a question
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My father passed away on 1/9/16. He was 84 years old on Social Security. Do I have to file taxes by today or is there an extension I can get? Please advise.
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help. Yes, you can get an extension for 2015 by filing Form 4684, which will need to be postmarked by the end of today. You can also try to efile the extension, but you will need to have access to his prior year tax return information. However, if you file on paper you only need his Social Security number and new address (the address of the executor or administrator of his estate). You can also apply for a North Carolina extension by visiting this page: I have attached the required form below. I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.Thanks, Jonathan