Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

How to enroll in the IRS consumer rebate program?

Customer Question

I have heard of a cash rebate program under Sec. 106, Sub clause (b). How do I make myself available for  this program? The dead line to collect is 4/18.

Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

The deadline is 4/18 because that is the due date of your federal return. This is not really a "rebate" is the option to either use your state taxes paid or SALES TAX when you complete your Schedule A and itemize your deductions instead of using the Standard Deduction. We have been allowed this for a few years now but it was finally made permanent, Before congress had to say OK every year if that was going to be allowed. If you want to use SALES TAX on your Schedule A then you do that instead of just listing your state taxes you paid or had withheld.