Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is it possible to file an extension so that i can avoid an

Customer Question
penalities on this years filingthank...
is it possible to file an extension so that i can avoid an penalities on this years filingthank you for your expertise
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/18/2016
Tax Professional: Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer replied 1 year ago
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your tax problems. It's always possible to file an extension by the deadline; if you expect to pay taxes, you must pay a reasonable estimate of the tax due, or the extension might be retroactively disapproved, or there might be a "failure-to-pay" penalty added.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you Arthur .....how long would i have to pay after i file the extension........im not seeing if thats possible in the IRS documentationthanks fort the info here
You have until October 15 (or maybe October 18) to file, but you have to pay interest on any additional amount not paid by April 18. There can be additional penalties if the payment submitted with the extension request is not a reasonable estimate.
If you look closely at the 1040, there's a line for "payment made with request for extension to file".
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer