How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to file an extension so that i can avoid an

Customer Question

is it possible to file an extension so that i can avoid an penalities on this years filingthank you for your expertise
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for trusting Just Answer with your tax problems. It's always possible to file an extension by the deadline; if you expect to pay taxes, you must pay a reasonable estimate of the tax due, or the extension might be retroactively disapproved, or there might be a "failure-to-pay" penalty added.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you Arthur long would i have to pay after i file the not seeing if thats possible in the IRS documentationthanks fort the info here
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
You have until October 15 (or maybe October 18) to file, but you have to pay interest on any additional amount not paid by April 18. There can be additional penalties if the payment submitted with the extension request is not a reasonable estimate.
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
If you look closely at the 1040, there's a line for "payment made with request for extension to file".

Related Tax Questions