How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have $1,370 from w-2, $4870 from non- employee compensation

Customer Question

I have $1,370 from w-2, $4870 from non- employee compensation from 1099- misc and $4,672 in student loan interest. I know most of student loan interest won't count, but I wondered how to get it right.
My filing status is single with no dependents. Will standard deduction work best - what is the best way to file?
I am giving myself a headache- help...
Thank you...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
Unless you have enough deductions to itemize, you will have to use the standard deduction. This year its $6300. (Itemized deductions are things like real estate taxes, mortgage interest, charitable contributions)You will file a 1040, with a schedule C.The income from the 1099-Misc goes on the schedule C, on this schedule you can also enter expenses you had to reduce the amount of the 1099-misc that you are taxed on.I would use one of the many tax software programs that are available to file your return. They are very user friendly and they walk you through the return with questions and answers. Take some tylenol :) it's going to be fine. You should be aware though, you will probably owe money unless you have substantial expenses to write off because of the 1099-misc. I'm available to do your taxes for an additional fee if you like.
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back to make sure you got your issue handled. If you are satisfied with my service, I ask that you take a moment to rate me using the stars or smiley faces, this is how I receive compensation from Just Answer and ensures experts like me are available to answer your questions in the future. if you would like to work with me again, simply type "ForCustomeramp;quot; in your question title and I'll be happy to help in any way that I can.