How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Angie Your Own Question
Angie, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 226
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Angie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm using turbo tax so it's hard to understand where informa

Customer Question

I'm using turbo tax so it's hard to understand where information is populating as I answer the questions, and this seems wrong to me. I lived in CA part of the year and KS the rest. My business in CA lost $8500 last year and KS is adding this $8500 loss to my taxable KS income. Does this sound right?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.
No...when you are filing as a part year resident, you have to allocate the portions of your income/loss to each state. There should be an allocation worksheet to allow you to zero out the loss for KS.