Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
13714381

How to get post 1986 depreciation adjustment JA:

Customer Question

how to get post 1986 depreciation adjustment for AMT
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am getting hit by a 4K AMT and trying to see if I can adjust AMT adjustment one of them is this line post 1986 depreciation adjustment I bought my house in 2007 and it was constructed in 1986 so a double declining method should be used for regular tax - correct?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer There shouldn't be any depreciation adjustment, for AMT purposes, for real property put in service after 1998; the year of construction is irrelevant. When you put the property in service as a business or rental, you were allowed to elect a 40-year straight line method for AMT, but you could have used the same method for regular tax and AMT.\ I don't think this helps you, but that's the way the law is written.