How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to get post 1986 depreciation adjustment JA:

Customer Question

how to get post 1986 depreciation adjustment for AMT
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am getting hit by a 4K AMT and trying to see if I can adjust AMT adjustment one of them is this line post 1986 depreciation adjustment I bought my house in 2007 and it was constructed in 1986 so a double declining method should be used for regular tax - correct?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer There shouldn't be any depreciation adjustment, for AMT purposes, for real property put in service after 1998; the year of construction is irrelevant. When you put the property in service as a business or rental, you were allowed to elect a 40-year straight line method for AMT, but you could have used the same method for regular tax and AMT.\ I don't think this helps you, but that's the way the law is written.

Related Tax Questions