Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I am 66 draws disability and my husband I work part time gross

Customer Question

i am 66 draws disability and my husband I work part time gross 7,000 last year do I have to file taxes I draw gross 950 net 846 after medicare
Category: Tax
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. The general rule of thumb to follow is that you will have to pay federal taxes on your Social Security Disability benefits if you file a federal tax return as an individual and your total income is more than $25,000. If you file a joint return, you will have to pay taxes if you and your spouse have a total combined income that exceeds $32,000. The good news is that you will not have to pay taxes on all of the Social Security Disability benefits that you receive if you do fall within one of the above tax brackets. If you file a federal tax return as an individual and earn between $25,000 and $34,000 for the year, you may be responsible for paying income tax on 50 percent of the amount you received from the Social Security Administration (SSA). If your income is more than $34,000, then you may have to pay taxes on up to 85 percent of your Social Security Disability benefits.If you file jointly with your spouse, you may have to pay taxes on 50 percent of your Social Security Disability benefits if you and your spouse have a combined income of between $32,000 and $44,000. If you and your spouse have a combined income of more than $44,000, then up to 85 percent of your Social Security Disability income may be taxed. The good news is that you will never have to pay taxes on more than 85 percent of your Social Security Disability earnings. It is in your best interests to file jointly with your spouse. If you file as married filing separately, you will likely have to pay taxes on some portion of your Social Security Disability payments. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my income is only $7000 do I still have to file , disability is 950
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my husband does not work he draws disability and an annity from an accident tax exempt
.
You are not required to file a tax return but you probably should file a tax return as you might get a tax return especially if you had tax withheld from your $7000 earned.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?