How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 586
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Student loan deduction.My wife has a 60k student loan. Because

Customer Question

Student loan deduction.
My wife has a 60k student loan. Because of our combined income me 100k and my wife 40k per year we do not qualify for any student loan detection or forgiveness program's.
Some company calling here all the time to sing us up for one of these programs.
They telling me all we have to do is file our tax return separately and use my wife's return only to apply for one of these programs.
1. is this correct?
2. can you recommend a company to work with to get a deduction processed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tyrone J. Taylor replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Peter, I am an Enrolled Agent with 9 years of professional tax experience.Just to clarify - are you asking about the student loan interest deduction specifically? Because that is the only deduction available for you if you are currently not enrolled in an eligible higher education program.Filing Married Filing Separate excludes you from this deduction, and many other types of deductions and credits by the way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not the deduction, there are some company offering a federal student loan forgiveness program. These could lower the payments dramatically.
Our combined income is to high to enter one of these programs.
A agent told me if we file separately only my wife's income will count.
Is this statement correct?
Expert:  Tyrone J. Taylor replied 1 year ago.
Hello Peter,Although they have told you this, this is based on qualifying for their loan forgiveness program. We are experts at taxes, not the qualifications for loan forgiveness programs.I would be highly wary of someone who suggests you file separately. I would also contact your current student loan servicer and discuss to see if these are legitimate programs. I know a few exists, but they are primarily based on taking a position such as working for a non-profit. Good luck with your search for information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there other experts available that might have experience with student loans?
Expert:  Tyrone J. Taylor replied 1 year ago.
Ill see if I can have you sent to another category. I'll have to refer you to the moderator to see if they can help you.