Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A residential house was purchased in 2002 for $195,000 and

Customer Question
sold in 2015 for $190,000...
a residential house was purchased in 2002 for $195,000 and sold in 2015 for $190,000. there was no income from this house and no taxes or upkeep was used for tax purposes. this was not my principal residence. I received a 1099S from escrow. Form 8949 shows the $5,000 loss. Is this a deductible loss on line 13 of form 1040
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/16/2016
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. What was the property used for? Did you used it as your second home or vacation home or did you purchased it strictly for investment?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My daughter's family lived in it. I did not charge them rent.
Ok. This would be considered personal and use and unfortunately you cannot deduct the loss.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney