How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A residential house was purchased in 2002 for $195,000 and

Customer Question

a residential house was purchased in 2002 for $195,000 and sold in 2015 for $190,000. there was no income from this house and no taxes or upkeep was used for tax purposes. this was not my principal residence. I received a 1099S from escrow. Form 8949 shows the $5,000 loss. Is this a deductible loss on line 13 of form 1040
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you. What was the property used for? Did you used it as your second home or vacation home or did you purchased it strictly for investment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter's family lived in it. I did not charge them rent.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Ok. This would be considered personal and use and unfortunately you cannot deduct the loss.