Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife and I have been separated 5 years. She left

Customer Question
My wife and I have...
My wife and I have been separated for almost 5 years. She left me w/the house and house payment. I have been paying the mortgage solely since she left. We are in the process of getting a divorce. I filed single this year and claimed the entire mortgage interest. She is now telling me that she is allowed to claim half of the interest since her name is ***** ***** the mortgage. Again, she has not made any payments since she left in 2011. Is she entitled to claim half of the interest? We live in California.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/16/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
If you are separated - and payments were made solely from YOUR separated funds - you may deduct the full amount.
You may not use single as a filing status - as you are legally married - you will use status "married filing separately" OR head of household if you qualify.Regarding payments on jointly owned house - if such payments are obligated according to the divorce or separation instrument - a half of the payment may be deducted as alimony and from another half would you may deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor