How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29579
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I have been separated 5 years. She left

Customer Question

My wife and I have been separated for almost 5 years. She left me w/the house and house payment. I have been paying the mortgage solely since she left. We are in the process of getting a divorce. I filed single this year and claimed the entire mortgage interest. She is now telling me that she is allowed to claim half of the interest since her name is ***** ***** the mortgage. Again, she has not made any payments since she left in 2011. Is she entitled to claim half of the interest? We live in California.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
If you are separated - and payments were made solely from YOUR separated funds - you may deduct the full amount.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.
You may not use single as a filing status - as you are legally married - you will use status "married filing separately" OR head of household if you qualify.Regarding payments on jointly owned house - if such payments are obligated according to the divorce or separation instrument - a half of the payment may be deducted as alimony and from another half would you may deduct mortgage interest and real estate taxes..I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.