How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Tax on company restricted stock unit (RSU). My RSU was

Customer Question

tax on company restricted stock unit (RSU). My RSU was vested last year Feb 2015 with value of $50k as shown in my tax summary & W2 for 2016 year. However, my company have withold about $10k for this RSU, and I did not sell any. Do I put this value of $50k in my 2016 year tax even though I did not sell any ? If I have to include the $50k in my 2016 year, what about the withold sum of $10k ? How should I deduct or report on my TurboTax software that I've withhold $10k ? Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 1 year ago.
The $50K vested stock units is already included in yourW2 (and that's where the withholding is) So no you do not report anything with the restricted stock until you sell it. You MAY have a 1099-B reporting the sale of the $10K to pay for taxes. Some companies sell the stock on the market while others simply withhold them and don't sell them. So the question is: "Do you have a 1099-B from the place that holds the employer stock (Etrade, Schwab, etc.) or do you not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes,I have the 1099 form (but not sure about 1099-B) from UBS. The form shows the withholding amount.
But my company tax 2016 summary form includes the $50k, it complicates how I enter into the TurboTax. Thanks.
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you need to do anything. Perhaps you can scan the UBS form and upload it, so I can see what you are looking at. (You should redact anything that shows your Name, Address or SSN)