Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Received an unexpected royalty on a country property

Customer Question
Received an unexpected royalty for...
Received an unexpected royalty for oil on a country property we own, Is this money taxed like other income at the same rate etc?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
4/16/2016
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Yes - royalty income is taxable.
Taxpayers who receive these payments are royalty owners who do not have a working interest in extraction operations. Taxpayers should normally report these payments as income on Part I of Schedule E (Form 1040), Supplemental Income and Loss. Income reported on Schedule E is usually not subject to self-employment tax.Taxpayers who do have a working interest in the extraction operations are subject to self-employment tax, and must file Schedule C (Form 1040), Profit or Loss from Business.Let me know if you need any help with reporting.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor