How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am paying social security and Medicare taxes on a job. I

Customer Question

I am paying social security and Medicare taxes on a job. I am collecting social security as I am over 67. Can I claim the taxes as a deduction
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, you cannot. Depending on the amount of your earnings in prior years, it's possible that the amounts you are paying into social security could eventually increase the amount of your social security benefit. Social security calculates benefits based on your highest 35 years of earnings. So if your earnings now are higher than any of the original 35 years that were used (adjusted by wage indexing) then your benefit could be increased.